the film blog that's officially banned by the Chinese government!

29 May 2010

WALL STREET: a bloated bore

This probably puts me in a minority of one or two but WALL STREET did nothing for me. The film has been glowingly referenced so frequently in articles on 80s cinema that I was expecting something akin to the second coming of Jesus but all I got was bored.
Not possessing an MBA or twenty years experience trading shares on the floor of the Stock Exchange I found much of the script to be incomprehensible.I appreciate director Oliver Stone's insistence on authenticity but - really - the film needed subtitles to explain to us mere Main Street mortals what was going on.
In their absence I settled for spotting the now famous lines - "Lunch is for wimps," "Greed is good" etc - and nodding appreciatively, happy to have actually understood some small portion of the plot.
I wasn't blown away by Michael Douglas or Charlie Sheen either. Neither of them were bad but not for one moment did I believe in either of their characters as real characters. 
Man's capacity for greed is timeless but WALL STREET has dated as badly as the "cutting edge" housebrick sized cell phone that Douglas's Gordon Gekko wields to show he's king of the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment