the film blog that's officially banned by the Chinese government!

13 September 2010

ECLIPSE:overwhelmed by inertia

Michelangelo Antonioni's ECLIPSE is a masterpiece of hypnotic boredom. To describe it as languid would be to grossly insult things generally considered to move at a slow pace - like snails and tress.
Even the word meandering suggests something able to generate faster forward motion than the narrative of this 1962 film.
ECLIPSE is hynotically boring because it drains the viewer of the willpower to look away and indulge in a more stimulating activity such as blinking while breathing.
I knew within minutes that this film was going to be more boring than a roomful of accountants discussing socks yet I found myself totally unable to do anything about it. ECLIPSE sedated me to the point where it became too much effort to stop watching.
And now that the experience is over and I've regained the use of my free will I find I'm troubled by the cinematic equivalent of post traumatic stress disorder.I'm having these terrible flashbacks to Monica Vitti's really unconvincing interpretation of the emotional torment when a relationship ends.
Please... somebody, make her blank-faced acting go away........ 

No comments:

Post a Comment